Monday, May 21, 2012

Saying 'Bye Bye Bye' to Trex decking baby!


My persistently moldy Trex deck has been completely cleared off.  Our new deck installers will make short work of removing this shoddy product from my yard.  The IPE is being delivered today, and hopefully we'll have a brand new deck in less than 10 days.

My wife and I are SO excited to finally close the chapter on Trex in our lives.  What a nightmare!  I have had to clean my deck every 6-8 weeks during summer to keep the mold at bay.  These cleaning applications typically take about 4 hours and cost around $200.  That is a far cry from the "maintenance free living" slogan that I was sold on by Trex in the first place.

The company replacing my deck mentioned that they might have a guy who would be willing to take the Trex decking off of my hands.  I told them that I wouldn't give this product to my worst enemy (well, okay, maybe I'd give this to a Trex employee to watch them suffer).  There is no suitable place for this product other than in my local landfill.  I do wish it could be recycled though.  I contacted Trex regarding this but never heard back.  I must have struck a couple of nerves over there.  

That's the update for now.  Please check back in the next couple of weeks to see progress of my new deck being installed.  I look forward to some "Trex Free Living"!

2 comments:

  1. We installed our deck about 5 years ago and it looks like crap. alot of the boards are detoriating, I have had it professionally cleaned but it does no good. Not sure what to do about it. I have emailed Trex but no answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you are going through the same issues I am. Trex is actually under warranty to cover deteriorating boards. If your Trex is crumbling or flaking this is covered. I would urge you to call Trex customer service at (1-800-289-8739) and tell them what is happening. Hopefully they can help.

    In the meantime I hope you are telling everyone you know about your experience with this company.

    ReplyDelete